Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Random Afternoon Thoughts

I've been corresponding with an old pal, Kendra Nordin, who does triathlons and who reflected to me that in spite of her passion for the sport she finds it superficial. I strangely agree...there's a part of me that feels like I don't really fit the profile. I wasn't an athlete to speak of in high school (I lettered in TENNIS, and I went something like 2-5 for the season. Not much to crow about). I didn't really get into athletics until I found something I could do on my own. I always felt like a non-athlete in school--not into the standard sports at all, not into competing for goals that seemed unimportant (put this ball in that basket? WHY???). But now I'm totally hooked and insane. I'm the guy that people laugh at playing a friendly game of volleyball because I get a little TOO into it. Maybe it's because I'm making up for lost time. I think post-wimps like me probably make the fiercest athletes because we're compensating for our former poor performance on the field. Ex-jocks go to seed, thinking they've still got it, and pull hamstrings when they play basketball on weekends. Anyway, it's a mighty weird thing to get into, though in Southern California it makes a kind of sense...should we move I might have to find an indoor sport to play.

Most trainers have an evangelical streak...I think I've got one but I keep it in check, letting people ask me about it instead of boring people stiff with how important it is to do Seated Cable Rows with good form.

Sport makes a good metaphor for me...the lessons of discipline, dedication, delay of gratification, tenacity, etc. are all imbedded in sport. I feel like a cliche saying all this but of course the hope is that you can transfer some of these qualities to the rest of your life. To be honest I also find myself drawn to triathlon because one of my other major pursuits--acting--has not been going so well...the relationship between time invested and progress made (in the business, not so much as an artist) was out of whack. It seemed like the more effort I put in the less progress I made in the business. Triathlon and working out reward effort put in in a shamelessly one-to-one ratio. Put in the time and you will improve. It's perfect for a believer in the Protestant Work Ethic.

But it's also funny, and I sort of look at myself spending all this time and effort doing this activity and think it's faintly ridiculous. But I suppose I feel that way about life in general too...engrossing, fascinating, and faintly ridiculous.

No comments: