Sunday, July 22, 2007

O, my Rotating Humeri..

A reader from Australia sent me a correction to my entry on "External Rotation." Contrary to what I said in the blog, apparently the lats are NOT involved in external rotation but actually assist in INTERNAL rotation. I did some research, and shiver me timbers, he was right. Gray's Anatomy, which used to be an authoritative textbook on the human body before it was a TV show, tells us that

"The humerus is...rotated outward by the Infraspinatus and Teres minor; and it is rotated inward by the Subscapularis, Latissimus dorsi, Teres major, Pectoralis major, and the anterior fibers of the Deltoideus."

What's nice about the 'blog' medium is that I've now gone back and edited the post to make it look like I knew that all along. Except, of course, for this very blog entry, which makes my gaffe patently clear. Oops.

Thanks for the correction, mate! --Andrew

No comments: